Installing a paver walkway or path is a great way to increase your outdoor space’s flow and functionally. And, at the same time, it takes your landscape design up a level. In this Done-In-A-Weekend Project video, landscape designer, Doug Scott, walks you through the steps to get started. In this video, he shows you how to build a walkway that will help connect your unique outdoor living areas. Here are just a few of the tips he has to offer.
Paver Walkway Build Steps
- Identify and measure the location where your walkway will be placed.
- If your walkway will reside in a lawn area, use a sod cutter to remove the existing turf to make way for the paver walkway. (Today’s newer-model cutters can be rented at a local tool store, and are surprisingly easy to operate.)
- Level and prep the area with a base mixture of sand and crush-and-run, then compact the base with a tamper.
- Begin laying a field of pavers in the pattern of your choice.
- Once your pavers have been completely laid, install a mortar soldier course in order to anchor the walkway firmly into place.
- Add, and brush, sand into the paver joints, then use a tamper again to compact the walkway and ensure it’s level and sturdy.
- Enjoy your new walkway!