Late March and early April are good times to get your lawn ready for the warm spring and summer months ahead. Consider these tips for lawn prep to help support and grow a healthy lawn. (Hint, these lawn prep tips include making sure your mower and sprinkler system are in tip-top condition, too!) For more lawn and garden tips, check out Backyard Life‘s month-by-month lawn-care infographic, or Exmark’s spring lawn tasks checklist.
- MOWER MAINTENANCE First things first, perform a basic mower maintenance check to ensure it’s in tip-top shape.
- WATER SYSTEM CHECK Make sure hoses, sprinklers, or irrigation systems are in proper working condition to keep your lawn watered and looking its best.
- TIDY UP OUTSIDE Spring cleaning doesn’t just happen indoors. Now’s the time to remove garbage, sticks, leaves, and other debris from your lawn.
- RAKE AND BREAK Once free of debris, rake your lawn to break up its thatch layer and better direct oxygen and water to its root system.
- AERATE TO PROPOGATE If your lawn has a tough, thick thatch layer, now’s a good time to aerate or dethatch it to help promote healthy root growth.
- ASSESS LAWN HEALTH Closely inspect your lawn for mold, dead spots, or anything indicating fungal diseases. Also, address or repair any animal damage you may find.
- ‘SET’ TO MOW When mowing the first time each year, set your blades about half an inch lower than normal. After that, raise them up to promote grass growth and weed control.
- HELP IT GROW Overseed any thin or bare spots, fertilize to promote grass growth, and apply herbicide to fend off weeds.