If you watched our Prime Cuts seared venison video and can’t get enough, we’ve got you covered with meal prep and cooking steps from guest chef, Rob McDaniel (formerly of SpringHouse). Follow these easy steps to re-create McDaniel’s delicious, seared venison recipe. Then, serve it all up with roasted Brussels sprouts, caramelized sweet potatoes, and an unbeatable pecan vinaigrette.
Helpful Venison Tips
Before you get into this recipe, there are a few helpful tips you should bear in mind. Venison is a delicious meat and it’s pretty easy to work with, but these helpful hints will make your life just a little easier.
- Trim up your venison filet . You don’t want it to be too fatty; an easy mistake to make .
- McDaniel recommends cooking up the veggies in the same skillet as the venison for what he calls “one-stop-shop” cooking.
- You should allow your venison to rest on a separate plate before cutting it up and plating it.
- You should slice your sweet potatoes, roast them, and then press them into coins before cooking them on the skillet.
- If you want to plate like a pro, place a sweet potato coin and a row of sliced venison in the center of your plate. Then top both with sprouts before drizzling your pecan vinaigrette to finish it off. This ensures they cook quickly and caramelize perfectly, so you get the best bite every time.
- If you want to be fancy, follow McDaniel’s tip. He recommends using venison he’s personally harvested. He allows it to hang and age for up to 14 days before processing.
Alright, you’ve got your delicious recipe, and you’re ready to go. Get going on this delicious meal, and maybe consider whipping it up at your next backyard event or just for your family on a Friday night. It’s a versatile dish!
Watch Prime Cuts:
- Kevin Nashan’s Grilled Ribeye Steak
- Rob McDaniel’s Seared Venison
- Kevin Nashan’s Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
- Rob McDaniel’s Pompano and Pickled Peppers
Want insider access to more prep videos and grilling recipes? Then, start your FREE Backyard Life e-news subscription, today! Simply sign up (below) and we’ll notify you when this—and other bonus content—is waiting in your inbox.