How to Build a Water Feature
Done-In-A-Weekend Extreme Project: Aquatic Additions
Want to learn how to build a water feature, and add beauty and interest to your yard? Then, watch as Done-In-A-Weekend Extreme Projects video host Doug Scott joins Greg Hutson from All Outdoor Lawn Services. Greg and his team will demonstrate how to build a gorgeous water feature—complete with ponds, streams and waterfalls—in a hilly backyard.
Steps for How to Build a Water Feature
1. To start, after Greg meets with the homeowner to determine the exact location of a water feature, he outlines that area with marking paint. Then, his crew digs out the area for that water feature.
2. Once the location has been dug, Greg’s crew installs a pre-liner. This serves as protection for the heavy duty, 50 mil. liner that will be installed next.
3. When the pre-liner has been put into place, the crew installs the heavy duty, 50 mil. liner. This is somewhat of a tedious process, as it has to be creased and bent to properly form to the area that’s been dug out.
4. With the heavy duty liner in place, Greg’s crew does what few water feature install companies do: Add concrete to the upper and lower ponds, and in several other areas within the water feature. This step helps ensure that the heavy duty liner doesn’t incur any leaks. Greg’s crew also installs a lower skimmer box and upper waterfall box to recirculate water in the feature.
5. Next, the crew begins placing a mixture of boulders and flagstone in the feature. This is where the real beauty of the project begins to take shape!
6. After all of the rocks have been placed, the crew trims the pre-liner and heavy duty liner around the exterior of the outside rocks. Then, they begin filling the feature with water to ensure everything’s working properly. Namely, that it’s producing the right amount of noise, and as much water as possible is staying within the feature’s confines.
7. Finally, the crew installs mulch and plants around the water feature’s outer perimeter to beautify—and finish off—the project.
To learn how to keep your backyard water feature flowing clear and clean, check out these articles:
To learn more about All Outdoor Lawn Services, visit Alloutdoorllc.com.