How to Build an Outdoor Wood Storage Bench
Something that many people forget about when designing their outdoor spaces is making sure there’s an easily accessible place outside to store the things that they’ll need to really enjoy being out there. Whether it’s gardening tools and supplies, outdoor furniture cushions, or that random collection of outdoor toys, almost everything we do outdoors comes with stuff. And, it’s not always convenient to go back inside and get.
In this Backyard Life video, landscape designer and Done-In-A-Weekend Projects host Doug Scott and his good friend, Jaime, show you how to build a patio storage bench that plays double duty. This DIY outdoor storage bench not only provides a comfortable place to sit outside, but also a convenient place to store the stuff you’ll need while you’re out there. And, as you’ll see, its design is also really attractive. So, it’s the best of both form and function!
Before you jump into the video, there’s a few things you might want to note:
- Wood Choice: Although you could choose from a number of wood options to build this outdoor storage bench, Doug chose untreated cedar for the exterior for a few reasons:
- Cedar is attractive, even if you don’t stain or paint it.
- It’s naturally rot-resistant, so you don’t have to stain or paint it if you don’t want to.
- And lastly, because it’s untreated cedar, it doesn’t contain the chemicals that many people try to avoid (especially when it could potentially come into contact with your skin).
- Alter Design Accordingly: The storage bench that Doug and Jaime build in this video fits the area and objectives of their specific outdoor space. That said, feel free to alter the design so that it fits your unique needs and space dimensions.
- Teamwork and Time: You know what they say, “teamwork makes the dream work.” Such is the case with this project. Although you could probably build this bench on your own, you might want to ask a friend to help. Doing so will likely cut this 1-to 2-day project in half.
Click here to access step-by-step instructions for the DIY outdoor storage bench featured in this Backyard Life video. Good luck, and we hope that you’ll enjoy life outside at home even more after building one of your very own!